1 c warm water, 1 pkg yeast, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 3-1/2 c all-purpose flour, 1 egg, Kosher salt, Vegetable oil, Poppy seeds, Electric beater, Damp dish towel, Pastry brush, Cookie sheetInstructions:
- Place water, yeast, sugar, salt, and 1 c flour in a large bowl. Beat slowly at first and then at high speed until smooth.
- Make a volcano shape of 2-1/2 c of flour on a clean work surface by placing a mound of flour on the surface and creating a hole in the center of the mound. Pour the Step 1 mixture in the center of the volcano. Now carefully blend the flour into the liquid, using your fingers to draw in the flour.
When all the flour has been blended, knead the dough for 10 minutes. You will notice that the dough will become less sticky as you keep kneading it. When it is done, it should be smooth and elastic in texture.
- Place the dough in a large oiled bowl and cover it with a damp dish towel. Place the bowl in a warm place to rise (approximately one hour).
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Punch the dough down and it is ready for molding. You can make any design you wish (i.e., snakes, eels, etc.). Use the poppy seeds for eyes and a mouth, etc.
- When baking the design, place them far apart on the greased cookie sheet. Brush a beaten egg on top and sprinkle with Kosher salt. Let the design rise almost double in size before baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
Tip: Keep your sculpture very simple because yeast makes it rise before baking and you can lose details of your work.
Credits: Content Copyright © Preschool Sunday School Central
You might also be interested in: